According to a recent study by Clutch, a business-to-business (B2B) research firm, 46% of small businesses do not have a website. Unfortunately, a big chunk of the other 54% has a website that is hurting them more than it is helping. The problem is that these businesses do not have a professionally developed website, and not only do people see it, but they also judge the business based on it and determine whether they have had a previous interaction with it. Subconsciously, we think, if their website is bad (or even, very bad), then how good can their product or service can be?
Here are 5 reasons why you should have a professional website:
Have you looked at a business loan application recently? Most of them now consider a website as a qualifying factor. I also know people who have lost business bids because they did not have a website. If you do not have a professional online presence that is a red flag.
2. The New Window Shopping
I am sure you are familiar with the following situation. You realize you need to buy X for your house or business, but you don’t know anyone who sells it. Then you sit in front of your computer or pull out your mobile device or phone and go online to find out about X. A Google study shows that 90% of people who look for a product or service online will most likely take action on the information they find (make a purchase, call or visit the business, inquiry online). Without making a good online impression, chances are they won’t take that action at your site.
3. Improved Customer Service
A professional website should include a space for you to be able to communicate and resolve your customer’s concerns. This also improves engagement with your customers.
4. Avoiding Other People’s Mistakes
When you hire a company to develop your website you will benefit from their experience and avoid past mistakes. They should also set the path for you to make the process as painless as possible so you can focus on other things like growing your business.
5. Communicate Your Message
When you hire a professional web designer. She should know how to communicate your message. Be it through the use of colors, fonts, graphics etc., a professional web site should convey a clear consistent, compelling message that represents your brand and organization.
Your website can be a very powerful tool that can bring more leads and clients to you with minimal effort. In order to do that, your website needs to present your business in the best light possible. The DIY or template website might be tempting or a good option when you are starting your business but it might hurt you in the long term as it potentially lacks the attention on the finer details that a professional web designer or agency will do. That is why you should aim to have a professional website just as soon as your business can afford it.
What is your experience with professional websites? Share your story in the comments!